TRENDING
  • 8:26 am » मॉनसून सत्रः दर्शक दीर्घा और चैंबर में भी बैठेंगे माननीय, ये है तैयारी
  • 8:26 pm » दिल्ली: LNJP अस्पताल में 800 सीसीटीवी कैमरे इंस्टॉल, कोरोना मरीजों की हो रही लाइव मॉनिटरिंग
  • 8:26 am » Coronavirus Latest Updates: भारत में 24 घंटे में कोरोना के 57,982 नए केस, अब तक 50,921 मौतें
  • 8:26 pm » कोरोना संकट की वापसी के बीच न्यूजीलैंड में अक्टूबर तक टला आम चुनाव
  • 8:26 am » कोरोना: देश में अब तक 50 हजार मौतें, पिछले 11 दिन में करीब 10 हजार लोगों की गई जान

Colombo, April 26: Another suicide attack was reported from Sri Lanka late Friday night. Reports said that one of the suicide bomber blew himself. Sri Lanka’s special forces were engaged in a severe gun battle with suspected terrorists in Kalmunai city, in the Eastern Province on Friday evening, the military said.

In a statement, the army said a combined team of security forces including the Army came under fire when they were proceeding to search a suspicious location, which produces suicide bomb kits and explosives, reports Xinhu news agency.

A group of five to six terrorists began firing at them, when the forces were approaching.

The military said a shootout was underway.

According to local media, immediate curfew has been imposed in Kalmunai and surrounding areas.

Earlier on Friday evening, the military said security forces recovered flags belonging to Islamic State, literature and some other objects from a house in the Ampara distict, also in the east, which is said to be the terrorist organization’s place for “oath-taking”.

Earlier in the days Sri Lanka’s police chief  became the latest senior official to quit over failures to prevent the Easter massacre, as President Maithripala Sirisena said the top leader of the Islamist extremist group blamed for the deadly attacks died in the blast at the Shangri-La hotel.

Sirisena, who is also the defence minister, said Inspector General of Police Pujith Jayasundara resigned over failures which led to the worst terror attack in the country’s history.

“The IGP has resigned. He has sent his resignation to the acting defence secretary. I’ll nominate a new IGP soon,” the president said.

His resignation came a day after the country’s defence secretary Hemasiri Fernando resigned on Thursday.

President Sirisena had asked both Fernando and Jayasundara to quit after their failure to prevent the blasts despite having prior intelligence.

Top officials have acknowledged that Sri Lanka received intelligence about possible terror strikes ahead of the attacks, but both Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that they did not receive the information.

Nine suicide bombers carried out a series of devastating blasts that tore through three churches and three luxury hotels on the Easter Sunday. The Islamic State group has claimed the attacks, but the government has blamed local Islamist extremist group National Tawheed Jamath (NTJ) for the attacks.

Agencies

Photo: Google

Avatarnewstolive

RELATED ARTICLES